The Nutcracker Youth Program gives young dancers the opportunity to perform with a professional dance company! They interact with professional dancers and gain invaluable performance experience as they dance Ballet Jörgen Canada’s The Nutcracker.
Born from a collaboration with Kleinburg’s world-renowned McMichael Canadian Art Collection, and with well over 100 costumes in richly coloured fabrics, The Nutcracker, a Canadian Tradition brings out the magic of Canada. 20th Century landscapes make up the stunning 30-foot backdrops, including Franklin Carmichael’s Church and Houses at Bisset (1931), Tom Thomson’s Snow in the Woods (1916) and L.L. FitzGerald’s Trees and Wildflowers (1922). This is a beautiful Canadian work, and audiences are taken on Klara’s familiar, magical dream-journey as she arrives in Canada and experiences winter landscapes filled with snowflakes, lumberjacks, Mounties and creatures of the woods.
The aspiring dancer will be given the opportunity to:
|• experience a structured audition process
• receive one-on-one direction from professional dancers and artistic staff
• perform onstage in a professional ballet
• witness and participate in all that happens backstage before, during and after the performance
• develop a greater understanding of the role of the individual dancer as an integral part of a larger team that includes dancers, directors, technical, wardrobe, and artistic staff
• engage the artistic staff in conversations that may inspire, encourage and support the educational choices in their growth as young dancers (written recommendations supplied upon request)
• achieve all or part of high school volunteer hours required for graduation
Students can be a participant in the program as follows:
|• TOURING CAST
• LOCAL CAST
Touring and Local Cast participants are selected at an audition which takes place in their home community in the early autumn.
“My daughter was in the production here in Charlottetown, but even if she was not chosen to be in it, it was still a wonderful show. I must also thank you for including local talent in your show. I can speak for the other parents and their children and say that the experience they had being a part of your show was just amazing. The girls all had a great time rehearsing and a very good experience the day of the show. Thank you very much for giving them the opportunity to be part of something very special. We hope to see you again on our Island.”
- Heather Ross, Charlottetown, PEI
“I just wanted to tell you how much [my daughter] enjoyed being a part of your Nutcracker production and how much we enjoyed watching it. I was really impressed with the beauty of the show; at times my breath was literally taken away. I was proud that my daughter was a part of such a high calibre production. The way you let the local children have a good amount of stage time and their own special bow was very much appreciated.”
- Jane Wheeler, Fredericton, NB
“My daughter was very fortunate to be chosen to play one of the frogs in the ballet. She loved having the opportunity to gain more experience in dance. Thanks once again.”
- The Woollacott Family, Peterborough, ON
"I have been dancing since I was three years old and the opportunity to be a small part of the Nutcracker is the highlight of all my years of taking ballet. It was fantastic watching such great dancers up close and this will be an experience I will never forget”
- Local Cast Member